#19: The Shortlist | May

June 03, 2017

A new series on my blog! Here's a 'Shortlist' of everything I've been enjoying in the month of May...


TV, Film & Theatre

Winner:
  • The Handmaid's Tale - Based on Margaret Atwood's novel, the series presents an insight into the oppressive society we may become. Starring Elisabeth Moss as Offred, the rare fertile women (known as Handmaids) are forced to be surrogates to the Commanders and their Wives. With graphic, uncomfortable scenes and carrying themes of state-sanctioned rape and mass oppression, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not for the faint of heart.
Nominations:
  • BBC Election 2017 (The Debate) - Love a bit of political engagement... Although, interesting the Prime Minister herself failed to show up. Hmmm...
  • Minnie Small - A YouTube channel which is the definition of aesthetic. It's practically ASMR to watch and has given me great tips on starting a bullet journal.
  • The Addams Family - My favourite musical! You can read my full review of the production, starring Samantha Womack, Les Dennis and Carrie Hope Fletcher, righty HERE.

Food & Drink

Winner:
  • Hotel Chocolat 'Salted Caramel Puddles' - They're better than they sound. In a 110g bag, you get more than you would think and they're super rich, so one or two is often more than enough! Free from artificial nonsense and also gluten-free, it's good news for people who want a "healthier" alternative to the main brands. But mainly, they taste REALLY good and they're fab for when I need to stress-eat!
Nominations:
  • Spirits - As a newly turned 18-year old, it was about time I explore my taste in alcohol. After numerous pub trips with the bestie, I think I've narrowed it down. Rum, Malibu - those summery drinks are lovely - and I do like a good margarita once in a while!
  • Sakura Green Tea - I picked it up from a pop-up shop in the Camden Markets. 'Sakura' is Japanese for cherry blossom, so the tea has delicious floral notes to it. It's a leaf tea, so a tea-strainer is a must. The flowers are edible, so I often take those out of the strained leaves and pop them in the mug! Gorgeous!
  • Quick n' Easy - here's a post I wrote on Say Chic, starring my favourite 'I Can't Cook For Sh*t' Recipes!

Health & Wellbeing

Winner:
  • 'So Much Better' (from the musical 'Legally Blonde') - Not the traditional health and wellbeing nominee, but if I need to feel better, I shut myself away in the back room of my house and belt this one out. Hitting that high note makes me feel like a worthy human again!
Nominations:
  • Yoga - Doing a couple of Sun Salutations each morning not only gives me more flexibility, but also fully relaxes me before a stressful day!
  • ASMR - If you don't know what this is, bare with me. People record videos of different sounds (tapping, crinkling, brushing) and whispering. In some people this triggers Autonomous Meridian Sensory Response (ASMR), which is basically a tingling sensation at the back of the neck and head. It's relaxing, Google it.
  • Orange Juice - I have a bit of an obsession with juice, but the reason I didn't put it in Food & Drink is because it genuinely makes me feel better. Packed full of Vitamin C, it's my go-to when I feel less-than-average and just in general, it's a bit of a pick-me-up!

So that's it for my shortlist this month! Comment down below what you've been enjoying in May and remember...




Hannah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..