#22: In The Air | A Poem

June 24, 2017



I love that sound.
The sound of not really being able to hear anything.
Anything, at least, but the roar of the engine,
As we soar faster than any animal could hope to go.
In the air.
It's just breathtaking
And although I can't breathe in takeoff,
Although I grip my seat
I shut my eyes,
Although I cannot stand to look at the sky...
When I'm in the air I feel fine.
Just fine.
Just.
I get all my breath back from the recycled air,
Pumped by the gallon at my face
Just in case I can't breathe.
Ah!
My stomach drops and suddenly we begin our descent.
And as much as I hate flying,
I love being in the air.
Turbulence.
Ah, now that's the worst bit
Because I don't like rollercoasters
And if you're looking for the ride of your life
You'll probably love flying,
I guess I just can't shake the fear of dying,
A plane suddenly struck by lightning.
That's why I love the air and not the ground.
The ground can make a heart stop,
The air just makes your stomach drop,
Woah.
We fly fast and the sky goes dark,
I'm flying East.
At least it will be over soon.
But I do so love being in the air.

*

Remember...


Hannah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..