#25: Review | The Battle of Boat Soundtrack

July 18, 2017

The Battle of Boat ⭐⭐⭐⭐


A little over two years ago, I sent in an audition tape for a brand new original musical. Just a few days later, I received an email from Cut Feather Theatre, which invited me to play the role of 'Gladys' in a three day workshop of Donnelly & Maltby's 'The Battle of Boat'. Heard of it? Well, you should have done - I'm a little biased, but only because I know just how incredible it is and how much hard work and planning has gone into everything behind the scenes.

I've been given exclusive access to the soundtrack ahead of its release, so I'm going to give you my full, honest review of what I've heard.




Act One Highlights


  • Harmonies in 'What We Get Up To'
Two, three, four-part harmonies - these kids are SUPER talented and the blend of voices gives the impression of a full choir. Having seen the production live, this cracker of an opening is one that will stick in your head and give you chills all over.

  • Gripper's voice in 'Truth & Justice'
It's a talented young man who can make the audience feel intimidated through just his voice. Although I'd seen him before (when I saw the show last August), I felt the evident power of Gripper through the music and the way it was sung so forcefully. Although he's evil, he's one of my favourite characters... if just for this amazing song!

  • "Something questioning" - 'Frances Thinks'
The questioning nature of the music in this song really reflects Frances' uncertainty and I love the picture it paints. This is the third time in the soundtrack that I've got chills... and we're only on song 4!

  • The completely convincing passion in 'Then We'll Fight'
The research behind the music is evident. Florence, the youngest character in the musical, says a heartbreaking line - "I don't see my dad in the film" - and it's bittersweet to listen to the children uncover the horrors of war. Having been a part of the original research carried out for this (watch our video below), I can vouch for the amount of work behind this song. We watched a documentary, like the characters, which put us in their shoes. The passion behind the voices of the cast, the swelling instruments, the uplifting key change - it's enlightening. Without a doubt, one of the most beautiful songs on the album.
 


  • Use of motifs throughout
I find myself recognising recurring themes throughout the soundtrack. 'Recruitment & Rejection' is an example of this; it's really uplifting and there are references to previous motifs throughout. Hearing music I'd heard before manipulated in such a new way gave me chills... again! 'No Vengeance' is a work of genius with how many references that has to other songs. It ends like a reprise of 'Then We'll Fight' and I LOVE it!

  • The wide use of instruments
The music sure doesn't shy away from the big orchestral sound and every instrument used is perfectly written in to create the most poignant dramatic effect. The timpani in 'Helpless' is one of my favourite examples on the album; it builds as the voices intermingle, paired with beautiful harmonies. Need I talk about chills anymore? Just assume I always have them!

  • 'Broken Promises'
This needs a whole category of its own. I get chills hearing that instrumental - that running theme like a bell, use of swelling strings... it's really beautiful. The harmonies are insane! Again, like the opening, the close to Act One feels like a hundred-piece choir is singing. When you consider the ages of these kids, it is incredibly impressive to listen to.


Act Two Highlights


  • The chilling start | 'The Birth of Boat'
Those timpani. They get me every time. The instrumental writing here announces the change of theme: things will be getting much darker from here on in. Chills!

  • The choral arrangement in 'Funeral For A Friend'
This is an incredible harmonic arrangement. It's a beautiful to listen to. 'Nuff said.

  • 'The Battle of Boat'
How could I fail to mention the title track? Combining motifs from songs like 'My Dad' and 'Then We'll Fight', it is the perfect "revenge of the underdogs" and really reflects the fun and the scheming that is seen onstage. I love the harmonies during the line "we are mighty when we're one" - a key, signature line in the musical. It really shows the importance of teamwork and what it did for these kids. The song ends with firm battle music and my favourite, the timpani, makes a reappearance!

  • Finale | 'Morale'
I cried in performance and I cried again listening to the finale. It's the letter more than anything - you realise just how much William has matured in war, like all the children have back at home. It really is incredibly moving. When the whole cast enter, with the full orchestra... it's a feeling you'll only get by listening to it for yourselves.


To Conclude...

Yes, I do have a slight bias. But listen to it yourself and you'll understand why! Watching this musical grow over the past few years has been my absolute joy and pleasure. Hearing this soundtrack brought back so many memories and gave me SO many chills, as you have found out. If I was to make any criticism, the occasional song could have been sung with a little more emotion, but, on the whole, conviction is brilliant due to the way the music itself has been written. I think there is still room for this musical to grow and I would love to hear other voices singing the music to see the different interpretations. I'll leave some useful links below for you to browse...






Go and read this showstopper and while you do, be sure to remember...


Hannah x



You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..