#38: Being a Musical Director | With the Band

October 24, 2017

Wasn't sure how to title this one without saying "I love my job | The Story" but as some of you may know, I am a Musical Director for a youth theatre company called RARE Productions. We put on shows around the country and honestly nothing fills me with more joy than being a part of it all. I'd like to tell you a little bit more about what exactly it is that I do...



So... Step One: I get sent the details of our next show. Having just finished a successful run of 'Oliver!' we're moving on to 'The Wizard of Oz'. I get all excited and start looking at soundtracks, learning music, thinking of potential casting ideas, etc.

Step Two: Auditions! I play the keys for these auditions - getting a group of about 15 kids at a time to sing together and then individually. It's all very relaxed and fun for me and the auditionees too! I used to audition for shows with RARE and every time a new one came around I'd be excited to audition because they were just so much fun.

Step Three: Rehearsals begin and I make a start on the big chorus numbers of the show. Our cast, aged between 8 and 21, get stuck in with joy and enthusiasm. Then, teaching the soloists is always a rewarding part of my job. The number 'As Long As He Needs Me' proved challenging at first, but I had no doubt our Nancy was fully capable. With a little encouragement from me, she absolutely nailed it... I may have got a little teary with pride on opening night!

Step Four: Tech and dress runs are often stressful. The questions, "Have we done this scene?", "Which side do I come on?" and "Line?" are just a handful of potentially facepalm-inducing moments. Sat up in the balcony were a couple of keyboardists (including myself) and a bass guitarist, casually jamming... and frantically attempting to sightread flute lines for the keys (okay that bit was just me).

Step Five: Showtime! It's out of my hands now and after the traditional warm-up game of 'Rubber Chicken', this time new and improved with the addition of glowsticks and the lights switched off, the cast took to the stage and put on an amazing performance.

*

My job is so rewarding. Although it can be stressful, there's no feeling like knowing you're making a difference in people's lives and I always treasure the moments when a cast member comes to thank me, or tell me how much they've improved over the course of the show. Seeing how hard they work and seeing how happy it makes them when they get it right - it's a wonderful feeling to know I play a part in it all.

Audition information for all of RARE Productions' shows around the country can be found righty HERE. And if you're around the Kent area, maybe I'll see some of you there!

For now, remember...



Hannah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

What do you think? There's lots more to come..